Civil Society Organizations in Angola have been benefiting from the thematic programme "Non-State Actors and Local Authorities" (NSO-LA), currently called "Civil Society Organisations and Local Authorities" (CSO-LA), since 2007. The focus of the support has been the reinforcement of CSO's capacities to participate and contribute actively and critically to governance and the country's development process.
For the period 2014-2020, the Thematic Programme "Civil Society and Local Authorities" establishes three objectives:
1. Country level actions: enhancing Civil Society Organisations' and Local Authorities' contributions to governance and development processes";
2. Reinforcing regional and global Civil Society Organisations networks and associations of Local Authorities;
3. Develop and support education and awareness raising initiatives fostering citizens' awareness of and mobilization for development.
The global objective of the present assignment was to assess the EU support to civil society in Angola under the thematic programme NSA-LA/CSO-LA and provide recommendations for the EU's future engagement and support. Specific objectives:
1. To analyze the current enabling environment for civil society in Angola.
2. To assess the efficiency, effectiveness, sustainability and impact of the support provided under the programme during the period 2010-2015 (16 contracts).
3. To collect best practices and lessons learned from the programme's supported actions.
4. To identify potential areas for EU support under the programme for the period 2016-2020 (including for support measures), taking into account the enabling environment, the priorities for the EU engagement with civil society CSO-LA (in general and in Angola) and the development priorities of the country.
RELATED PROJECTSPreparation of Tourism Development Masterplan for the Muscat Governorate