Sector 2 of the 2014-2020 National Indicative Program on Security Sector Reform and Democratic Governance has the overall objective of restoring the rule of law in CAR by strengthening the performance of the security and justice sectors as well as improving democratic governance and electoral processes. The specific objective is to contribute to the reform of the security sector (SSR). The expected results are a reformed, effective and accountable security sector (with a focus on the Internal Security Forces), and an improvement of the justice services.
The mandate of this evaluation is to inform the EU and the stakeholders of the results and impact of EU interventions in the field of Security Sector Reform in response to the crisis of 2013, and more specifically, on the projects intervening in the fields of justice and Internal security forces. The following projects are involved:
Final evaluation of the Financing Agreement:
- Rehabilitation of Justice and Police Sectors in CAR – RESEJEP. The general objective of the program is to contribute to the consolidation of the Rule of Law and good governance in CAR, in conformity with the needs of the population. The specific objectives are: (i) reinforce the Justice Administration, (ii) contribute to the development of a penitentiary system, taking into account international standards,(iii) professionalize the Security forces. The main lines of intervention of the RESEJEP program are:
- Justice, by the institutional reinforcement of Justice administration, modernization of the law and improvement of the organization and functioning of jurisdictions, training of judicial personnel;
- The penitentiary by improving the physical and human conditions of detention as well as staff training;
- Security forces (Police and gendarmerie), by improving the material working conditions, the professionalization and specialization of staff through training, reorganization of the Ministry of Security, and the management of human resources;
- The National School of Administration and Judiciary (NSAJ), by reinforcing its institutional capacity for the support of initial vocational training and continuing training of judicial staff and auxiliaries of justice, particularly in support of the establishment of a Judicial Training Institute (IJT).
Final Evaluations of grant contracts:
- Extremely urgent action for the creation of a rapid intervention and law enforcement force in Bangui (November 2013-November 2015)
- Emergency action for the restoration of police missions at the service of the population in Bangui (May 2014-April 2015)
- Support to the operational center of joint command police - gendarmerie (December 2014-April 2016)