Global objective: To map the needs and challenges of Local Authorities in order to inform the development of a gender sensitive Programme for short, medium and long term support to the local government sector in Zimbabwe, identifying the key elements to be addressed.
The study will provide the European Union with sufficient information to make strategic
choices in the design of future support to the local government sector. Particular attention
will be paid to previous and ongoing support to the sector and must ensure broad stakeholder
participation in the different phases of the process. It should also explore the prospects of
increased donor coordination in the sector.
· Assess the impact and sustainability of EU supported interventions implemented in the country, paying particular attention to the impact of the programme against its objectives. Identify lessons learnt and make recommendations for future support to LAs, territorial development, and Associations of Local Authorities (ALAs), as well as identify future synergies with justice, natural resources management and Public Finance Management support programmes.
· Review and analyse the local government sector, identifying key issues that should be addressed. This will include an analysis of the constitutional provision on devolution and its implications for regional planning.
· Assess the comparative advantage of the donors, including decentralized cooperation, in the local government sector; identify possibilities of coherence, complementarities and gaps.
· Conduct best practice research for more effective ways to support inclusive local development and the local government sector and track endogenous mechanisms which could be developed in a future programme.
· Analyse and determine the right mix of support for urban and rural local authorities to enhance and strengthen their leadership role in transparency and good governance, development of inclusive public policies in the NIP focal sectors, participation in policy dialogue and promote partnerships and synergies of and between local authorities, citizens, civil society and the private sector.
RELATED PROJECTSConstruction Supervision for Detention Ponds, Bridge Reconstruction and Urgent Repairs