The 10th EDF Non State Actors Support Programme was aimed at building capacities of Non State Actors (NSAs) in Papua New Guinea, especially in their role in good governance. The overall objective of the programme is to contribute to poverty alleviation through sustainable economic growth in PNG through increased responsiveness of government to community needs. The Programme purpose or specific objective is 'to increase the level and effectiveness of engagement of NSA in good governance'.
The expected results of the Programme were as follows:
- Space for Government-NSA dialogue is clearly defined and used;
- Role of NSAs in good governance is recognised and enhanced;
- Capacities of NSAs and PNG Government structures in good governance are strengthened.
The main activities to be implemented were:
- Support to the implementation of the Integrated Community Development Policy.
- Preparation of the Call for Proposals for grants, communication of it and training to NSA on proposal writing.
- Core of the programme, containing the actual direct support to NSAs through grants.
- Institutional capacity strengthening and support to NSAs on organisational management.
- Capacity strengthening of the integrated community development advisory committees at different levels.
- Specific capacity strengthening component on good governance targeting the NSAs.
- Horizontal activities (including a specific horizontal activity to support the development and implementation of a gender approach).
The Programme Budget was EUR 1,758,605.65. The implementation period was 12/2013 to 12/2018.
The main objectives of this evaluation are to provide the relevant services of the European Union, the interested stakeholders and the wider public with:
- an overall independent assessment of the past performance of the 'Non State Actors (NSAs) Support Programme in Papua New Guinea, paying particular attention to its results measured against its expected objectives; and the reasons underpinning such results;
- Key lessons learned conclusions and related recommendations in order to improve current and future Actions.