Mid-term Evaluation of the Service Contract "U-LEAD with Europe: Ukraine Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development Programme"
The overall objective of the “U-LEAD with Europe: Ukraine Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development” Programme is to contribute to the establishment of multilevel governance which is transparent, accountable and responsive to the needs of the population. The specific objectives are:
To enhance the capacity of key actors at central, regional and local levels to implement the regional policy and decentralisation reform. Expected results:
- Elected members of councils and public servants at different levels of government have acquired skills appropriate to their new roles (e.g. managerial accountability, modern management processes in line with new responsibilities resulting from the decentralisation process).
- Local administration capacity for sound financial management enhanced.
- Enhanced capacity of line ministries and key agencies for the implementation and monitoring of the decentralisation and regional policy reform, in particular of the Ministry of Regional Development Construction, Housing and Communal Services in its coordination role.
- Increased capacity of regional and local authorities for evidence based policies.
- Improved ability of local authorities to access funding from international and national sources, including the State Fund for Regional Development.
- Increased awareness of citizens on decentralisation and regional policy reforms.
To improve delivery of local administrative services for the benefit of the citizens. Expected results:
- At least 600 administrative service centres across the country are functional and provide citizens with good quality services.
- Citizens' awareness about rights and access to information in relation to their local government is increased.
- Transparency and public participation in decision making in local affairs is enhanced.
- The overall budget is € 101 032 746; the period to be evaluated is from January 2016 to January 2019.
The action includes 2 components:
- Enhanced capacity to implement decentralisation and regional policy reforms;
- Administrative service centres and awareness raising of citizens on local self-governance.