The National Transport Strategy (2007-2017), prepared by the Ministry of transport and communications, was adopted on July 31th 2007 by the Government of the Republic of Macedonia. It determined the main direction for development of National Transport Policy by identifying the goals and strategy for development of the transport sector, facilitate the transport development of the country in the long term timeframe (2007-2017). The current National Transport Strategy was focused on several objectives relevant for the development and improvement of the transport sector:
- Promote economic growth by building, enhancing, managing and maintaining the transport services, the infrastructure and the networks to maximize their efficiency;
- Promote an integrated and interconnected transport network that establishes effective service to the users in the Beneficiary country;
- Promote social inclusion by connecting remote and disadvantaged communities and increasing the accessibility of the transport network;
- Protect the environment and improve health by building and investing in public transport and other types of efficient and sustainable transport which minimize emissions and consumption of resources and energy;
- Improve the safety by reducing accidents and enhancing the personal safety of pedestrians, cyclists, drivers, passengers and staff; and
- Improve integration by making journey planning and ticketing easier and working to ensure smooth connection between different forms of transport.
The global objective of the present assignment is to improve the economic efficiency, safety and accessibility of transportation whilst managing the environmental impact of existing and future transport activity, and ensuring integration with other sector policies.
The specific objective is to develop actions that address weaknesses in the transport sector at a Regional and National Level. The actions cover the period from 2017 until 2030, and acknowledge the pipeline of projects and policies that have already been agreed and which it is intended will be delivered during the period of the Strategy.
Services provided within the assignment:
- To create a Digital Databank, collecting data on:
- national/international train passenger flows
- road traffic flows by vehicle class
- freight movements by road and rail,
- Demographic and economic data for the base year
- Relevant traffic data on international transport from Eurostat, Transtools and Etisplus;
- traffic to and from airports
- public transport timetables and fares for interurban trains and
- Survey of transit times for rail and road
- Financial data for the investment in transport infrastructure and the operation of services, including a detailed breakdown of subsidies, operating costs and charges, and a breakdown of maintenance expenditure by year;
- road safety showing the location and severity of accidents;
- Condition analysis of the existing road and railway network
- To draft a Transport Model, Transport Modelling Report and Transport Model Manual. The purpose of the Transport Model is to understand how the Transport Sector is expected to evolve over the period to 2030.
- To draft a Problem Analysis Report. The final objective is to obtain a detailed understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the existing transport system and to identify domains where the transport system is failing, allowing from there to identify the reasons for the failing and deficiencies.
- To draft a National Strategy for the Transport Sector.
- To draft a Strategic Environment Analysis.