Final evaluation of programmes "Community Based Approach for Local Development Phase III" and Support to Ukraine's Regional Development Policy"
The Joint UNDP/EU Project “Community Based Approach to Local Development” (CBA) is a long-term and comprehensive capacity building initiative to promote sustainable local development in Ukraine. The Project supports participatory governance and community-led initiatives to improve living conditions of people in rural and urban areas throughout the country. The CBA has a specific focus on rehabilitation of social and communal infrastructure in the priority areas of health, environment, and water management, improved management of housing sector, energy efficiency and local economic development. Specific objective of this action is to:
- To promote community based approach to local governance and sustainable development by: strengthening the capacity of local communities, local authorities and universities in applying community led development; integrating participatory mechanisms for local planning and public service delivery into the day-to-day practices of local governments; supporting community-based initiatives for sustainable rehabilitation, management and operation of basic social and communal infrastructure; promoting small farm and non-farm business development in rural areas;
- To enhance energy efficiency at local level by: building capacity of local communities and local authorities in energy planning and efficient energy use; supporting innovative community initiatives in efficient energy use; raising public awareness on energy efficiency based on grassroots level best practices
- To support the creation of the locally owned and managed repository and network of good practices and knowledge on community mobilization and participatory governance by: documenting and codifying lessons learnt and institutional arrangements established during the CBA implementation; advocating for necessary policy changes towards decentralization and local democracy; establishing a network of knowledge hubs for the creation, analysis, and sharing of innovative approaches to community based development; supporting academia and other educational institutions in curriculum and capacity development for promoting community based approaches to local governance and development
The technical assistance project “Support to Ukraine’s Regional Development Policy” (SURDP)” has started its activity in January 2013 and ended on February 2017. The overall objective of the project is to contribute to the social, economic and territorial cohesion of the country. The purpose of the action is to strengthen the capacity of Ukrainian authorities and other stakeholders to develop and implement effective regional development policies. The Main Beneficiary of the Project is the Ministry for Regional Development, Construction, Housing and Municipal Economy.
The overall objective of this assignment has been to conduct a final evaluation of the two actions.
The final evaluation provided the Ukrainian authorities, implementers, the relevant external co-operation services of the European Commission and the European External Action Service, and the wider public with:
- an overall independent assessment about the relevance of the action;
- key lessons learned and recommendations on the management of ongoing actions in the area of regional/local development (in particular U-LEAD);
- advice on the main issues to be taken into account for the design and implementation of future interventions in the area of Decentralisation and local/regional development.