The overall objective of the Support to NSA programme was to contribute to peace-building and conflict prevention through the effective participation of local NSA to the national development and to the democratic process.
The expected results of the Programme were:
- Capacities of networks and umbrella organizations are significantly improved, so that they can carry out their respective mandates in a more efficient and effective way to the benefit of the people of the country at large.
- Inclusive dialogue and cooperation between local and central government entities and NSA is well established, in particular with regards to advocacy and project implementation.
- Participation of NSA at a decentralized level through appropriate actions of civic education and youth employment is enhanced .
Two grant contracts were awarded following a call for proposals:
- With Search for Common Ground with the action title “Democracy and Development in Action, through Media and Empowerment” with total budget of US$ 2,298,417, ended in December 2014.
- With the Instituto Marquês de Vale Flôr with the action title “Technical Assistance and Capacity Building Program to strengthen CSO’s with decentralized actions in the field of Rural Development” with total budget of USD1,641,567.63, ended in March 2015.
The global objective of the assignment was to provide the Government of the Republic of Timor-Leste and the European Commission with sufficient information to make an informed judgment about the performance and impact of the 10th EDF Support to NSA programmes.
The specific objective was to evaluate the program using the key evaluation criteria:
- Relevance (Problems and needs): the extent to which the objectives of the development intervention (projects/ programme) are consistent with beneficiaries' requirements, country needs, global priorities and partners' and EC's policies, with a focus on the appropriateness of the actions and capacity building for the beneficiaries
- Effectiveness (Achievement of purpose): how far the programmes results were attained, and the programmes purpose and specific objectives achieved
- Efficiency (Sound management and value for money): how well the various activities transformed the available resources into the intended results in terms of quantity, quality and timeliness
- Impact (Achievement of wider effects): extent to which the objectives of the programme have been achieved as intended, in particular the planned overall objectives; what impact has the implementation of the programmes brought about in terms of Support to NSA
- Sustainability (Likely continuation of achieved results): whether the positive outcomes of the programme and the flow of benefits are likely to continue after the programme ends.
A particular attention was given to the integration and impact of relevant cross cutting issues in the project.