This assignment aimed at supporting the EU Delegation to Egypt in planning for the implementation and monitoring of the Gender Action Plan for the period of 2016-20 by carrying out a Gender Analysis, which would support the EU Delegation to Egypt in:
- Promoting and integrating aspects of gender equality and women and girls' empowerment into the EU political and policy dialogue as well as into the EU funded support to Egypt;
Shifting the institutional culture to more effectively deliver on EU commitments.
The Gender Analysis consisted of highlighting issues related to gender equality and women empowerment, such as differences in the conditions, needs, participation rates, access to resources and development, control of assets, decision-making powers between girls/women and boys/men. It proposed the specific objectives, indicators, baselines and sources of data to implement and to monitor GAP II in Egypt. Specific activities:
- Gather and use key statistical data and information on the situation of women and girls, men and boys, which provides the baseline for future measurement and provide an interpretation.
- Identify key opportunities for, and challenges to, achieving gender equality and empowerment in Egypt (including social norms, legislative, institutional capacity, political commitment etc.) focusing on those areas that are of interest to the activity of EUD, mainly EU cooperation priorities in Egypt, areas of political and policy dialogue.
- Map the key actors and actions which support gender equality and empowerment in Egypt (international and national).
- Identify knowledge gaps, such as sex-age disaggregated statistical information or others
- Assess and propose where the EU can add value through its political and policy dialogue and funding support for achieving country objectives on gender equality and empowerment (as part of national commitments and development agenda).
- Propose clear tangible suggestions for the inclusion of gender in the areas of intervention by the EU, horizontal area and gender mainstreaming, and thematic actions).
- Propose recommendations for the selection of thematic priorities and specific objectives of GAP II to be implemented and monitored by the Delegation, including recommendations for adjusting logical frameworks to mainstream gender by for example including sex-disaggregated data.
- Propose an internal implementation framework of GAP II within the EUD and processes to involve of EU MS
- Advise on a mechanism on how to monitor and track data under GAP II.